The future of American society depends upon the existence of a strong citizenry, comprised of individuals with leadership qualities based upon self-discipline, self-reliance, and self-confidence. The sport of wrestling helps build these characteristics in youth, regardless of their physical, economic, cultural, or geographic backgrounds. The National Wrestling Hall of Fame and Museum seeks to broaden the understanding and development of these values in the following manner:
- Through recognition of those who have demonstrated these characteristics while achieving or developing excellence in the sport as wrestlers, coaches, and contributors.
- Through recognition of those who have demonstrated these characteristics while achieving excellence in other walks of life after participating in wrestling.
- Through the maintenance of documentation and memorabilia that depicts and preserves the history of the sport.
- Through stimulation and encouragement of those who establish and conduct activities at all levels nationwide.
- Through the development of State Chapters that will continuously strive to enhance the image of the sport of wrestling at the state and national levels.