The National Wrestling Hall of Fame presents the state, regional and national winners for the Dave Schultz High School Excellence Award (DSHSEA) and the Tricia Saunders High School Excellence Award (TSHSEA) each year.
The awards recognize and celebrate the nation’s most outstanding high school seniors for their excellence in wrestling, scholastic achievement, citizenship and community service.
The DSHSEA was established in 1996 to honor Olympic and World champion Dave Schultz, whose career was cut short when he was murdered in January 1996. He was inducted into the National Wrestling Hall of Fame as a Distinguished Member in 1997 and as a member of the United World Wrestling Hall of Fame in 2016.
First presented in 2014, the TSHSEA is named for Tricia Saunders, a four-time World Champion and women’s wrestling pioneer. Saunders was the first woman to be inducted as a Distinguished Member of the National Wrestling Hall of Fame in 2006 and was inducted into the UWW Hall of Fame in 2011.
“Each year we are pleased to honor these remarkable student-athletes, who are inspirational role models because of their excellence on the wrestling mat, in the classroom and in their communities,” said Executive Director Lee Roy Smith. “We take great pride in our high school excellence honorees and enjoy following their careers as they continue to be positive influences.”
The state winners are evaluated and selected on the basis of three criteria: success and standout performances and sportsmanship in wrestling; review of GPA and class rank, academic honors and distinctions; and participation in activities that demonstrate commitment to character and community.
The Hall of Fame accepts nominations for the High School Excellence awards, and a committee, with input from Hall of Fame state chapters, selects state and regional winners. National winners are then chosen from the regional winners.
Dave Schultz Northeast Regional Winners
Dave Schultz Massachusetts Winners
- 1997 Conan Leary – Tabor Academy
- 1998 Mark Laramee – Rockland HS
- 1999 Nathan Cote – St. John’s Prep
- 2000 Steve Heleniak – Franklin HS
- 2001 Mike Parziale – Woburn HS
- 2002 Mike Pedro – St. John’s Prep
- 2003 Mike Arone – Waltham HS
- 2004 Joe Fendone – Central Catholic HS
- 2005 Casey Boyle – Lowell HS
- 2006 Brian Sheehan – Lowell HS
- 2007 Sean Bilodeau – Brooks School
- 2008 John Sughrue – Methuen HS
- 2009 Miguel Guzman – Greater Lawrence Regional HS
- 2010 Derek Papagianopoulos – Buckingham Browne & Nichols
- 2011 Kyle Visconti – Malden Catholic HS
- 2012 Jeff Ott – Belmont Hill School
- 2013 Leo Trindade – Billerica HS
- 2014 Christian Monserrat – Methuen HS
- 2015 Jonathan Viruet – Springfield Central HS
- 2016 Peter Tedesco – Belmont Hill School
- 2017 Jake Ferri – Shawsheen Regional Technical HS
Tricia Saunders Massachusetts Winners